Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Jambalaya

This is one of our all time faves, so I was thrilled to see the healthy choice or butterball polish style turkey sausages at tsc.  I think they are like 10,000 for the package, so not too bad...

This is Jason's mom's recipe and it has been one  of our favorites since we got married.

1 cup chopped onion
e cup chopped green pepper
 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp oil
1 can tomatoes
1 can rotel
sausage (diced or cut in rounds)
chicken (cooked and shredded or diced)
1 cup rice (I use brown so I always add a little more liquid while cooking)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (probably 2, maybe more, if brown rice)
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP parsley
other spices of choice (if I have a cajun seasoning of some sort I use that, sometimes i add oregano, thyme, whatever I feel like)

Saute onions, pepper and sausage in oil.  Add all other ingredients. Cover, cook on low until most liquid absorbed (adding more if needed if rice not tender).  Usually cooks about 30 minutes.  Enjoy!  We usually have with cornbread and slaw or salad

No comments:

Post a Comment