Thursday, April 26, 2012

Germantown Chocolate Pie

I discovered this pie by accident this winter and it's oh so yummy.  I've realized that in our overly connected world, I typically used recipes I've always used and then those that I find on the internet.  But I have mounds of cookbooks that sadly rarely get touched.  Anyway, I was going through some old ones this winter and came across this pie recipe.  It was so worth it!  I got this recipe as a wedding gift.  It's a Junior League cookbook and has some great recipes in it.

I actually forgot to take a picture of the finished product but I took a picture a day or so later for another post on dieting.  Again, food photography, not my strongest gifting, but you get the idea...

Germantown Chocolate Pie
1 4 oz package German sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup milk, divided
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee crystals
3 oz cream cheese, softened
3 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup heavy cream, whipped (or 2 cups whipped dessert topping)
1 9 inch baked pie shell or graham cracker pie shell
chocolate curls

In a 1 quart sauce pan, combine chocolate, 2 TBPS milk and the coffee crystals.  Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate melts.  Cool to room temperature.  

In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, remaining milk, and cooled chocolate mixture with an electric mixer until smooth.  Fold in whipped cream.  Spoon into pie shell.  Freeze about 4 hours or until firm.  Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.  Garnish with chocolate curls before serving.  YUMMY!!

1 comment: