Friday, September 24, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie
Not my picture - I forgot to take a pic before we ate it all :)

This is my go-to chicken pot pie recipe (ladies, it's in the cookbook - p. 135...). The first year we were married I would use a couple of cans of Progresso Chicken Pot Pie soup and top it with the flaky rolls you buy in a can. I've come a long way since then...and so has my pot pie!

Filling:
1 cooked chicken, de-boned and chopped
2 large potatoes, diced
4 large carrots, diced
1 can vegetables (corn, peas, etc.)
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour*
3 c. chicken broth
1 c. milk
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 t. pepper

Bring broth to a boil and cook carrots and potatoes. When almost cooked, add the can of vegetables. Remove all vegetables and set aside.

In another pot melt butter and add flour. Stir until smooth. Cook one minute stirring constantly. gradually add 3 cups broth and 1 cup milk over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper. Add vegetables and chicken and spoon into 9x13 greased casserole dish.

Crust:
3 c. flour*
1 c. shortening (I use butter when I'm in an artery-saving mood but the crust isn't as flaky that way...)
1 tsp salt.
~10 T cold water

Blend the flour, shortening and salt. Add 10 T cold water (more if needed...). Mix and knead. Roll out and place on top of chicken and vegetables. Cut slits in crust and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Mine usually overflows so I recommend setting the casserole dish on a baking sheet before placing in the oven.
*I use whole wheat flour in both the filling and the crust

No comments:

Post a Comment