Friday, October 5, 2012

Broccoli Slaw

I love broccoli in almost any form.  My kids do too making it a pretty popular choice around here.  It's gotten easier and easier to find as we've lived overseas, and now it's actually pretty affordable.  It always bugs me though, the way they cut it in the stores because they leave a huge amount of the stalk on so you end up paying mostly for that since they weigh it by the kilo.  I bought a bunch of broccoli last week and was cutting it up and prepping it for freezing and storing and I remembered broccoli slaw.  I had a favorite recipe for this that we used in the states where you can conveniently buy shredded broccoli slaw pre-packaged.  I had so much stalk that I realized I could use my food processor and shred it with some of the broccoli to make my own broccoli slaw.  It turned out great.  For those of you in the states, you can buy it pre-packaged or you can shred it yourself or just use the broccoli   florets.  Either way it's yummy!

Broccoli Slaw
1 pound broccoli chopped, or shredded broccoli stalks, or pre-packaged broccoli slaw
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup sunflower kernels, toasted
2 pkgs Ramen noodles crumbled (reserve seasoning packets)
grated carrots, red cabbage for color, if desired

Dressing
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 ramen seasoning packet (chicken flavor)

Combine veggies, nuts, and noodles.  Mix dressing ingredients and pour over all.  Serve immediately.



















No comments:

Post a Comment