Monday, February 28, 2011

Best Banana Bread

So, some food just don't photograph nicely and I've decided banana bread is one of those.  It's just not very pretty, but it's SOOO yummy.  This is the banana bread recipe my mom has been making me forever that she put in the cookbook that my family made for me when I got married.  I love trying new recipes and there are so many out there especially for things like banana bread in all the cooking magazines and things, but I always end up coming back to this recipe- it's simply the best, hands down, no question.  And so very easy.  The only change I have made to the original recipe is that I sometimes add a tsp or two of cinnamon.  And for the bananas-when you have bananas that begin to brown just stick them in your freezer and you'll have a ready supply of over-ripe bananas . 


Banana Bread
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat works as well as white)
1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
5 TBSP sour cream (for you girls in the Middle East- labneh works great)
1 cup mashed  over-ripe bananas (2-3) 
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix all ingredients together by hand and put in greased loaf pan.  Bake 1 hour at 350.

1 comment:

  1. so glad you posted this--i lost my favorite banana bread recipe and recently tried one that was LAME-O, such a disappointment to go to the effort to make something and then have it turn out so lame! thanks for continuing to post on here! i need the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete