Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin Waffles


These hit the spot on a cold fall morning. The batter keeps for a couple of days in the fridge so you can make them for Sunday brunch and then have them again Monday morning. The recipe is from my beloved Harry's Roadhouse Cookbook...

3 c. flour (I used 1 c. whole wheat)
5 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. allspice
1 t. ginger
1 t. salt
1/3 c. brown sugar
3 T maple syrup
1 1/3 c. pumpkin puree
2 1/4 c. milk
5 eggs
1/3 c. butter, melted.

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then fold in the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mix until combined but do not over-mix. Follow your waffle iron manufacturer's directions on how to cook them. On my waffle iron this recipe yields about 10-12 waffles. I make them all and then freeze the leftovers to pop in the toaster on any given morning.

At the restaurant they serve these with orange butter and toasted pecans...

Orange Butter:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. orange extract
Zest of 1/2 orange

Beat the butter with the sugar until smooth. Add the extract and zest. Save any extra butter for another day.

**Another variation is to use sweet potato puree. If you use sweet potato puree in lieu of pumpkin, eliminate the allspice and use only 1/2 the cinnamon. Substitute 1/2 c. orange juice for 1/2 c. of the milk and add the zest of 1 orange. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. These sound delic! I don't have a waffle iron though...:( But I have already made pumpkin pancakes a few times, so I'm good in the pumpkin breakfast department, I guess.

    ReplyDelete