Sunday, November 14, 2010

Creamy Tomato Mac and Cheese


This is my go-to Mac and Cheese recipe, compliments of Martha Stewart. Good ole' mac and cheese is just one of those classic comfort foods that I look forward to every fall. I've been using this recipe for the last 4 years and I like it a lot but I recently found another that I'm anxious to try. For now, enjoy this dish!

6 T butter
1 lb elbow or corkscrew pasta
1/2 c. all purpose flour
5 c. milk
4 garlic cloves, minced
12 oz cheddar, shredded (3 c.)**
12 oz Monterrey jack cheese, shredded (3 c.)**
2 t. thyme
2 1/2 c. diced fresh tomatoes
3/4 c. bread crumbs (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Butter 9x13 dish. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and run under cold water when done. Meanwhile, in a wide pot melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and garlic. Cook 10 minutes, whisking occasionally until mixture thickens. Add some salt and pepper. Add cheese, tomatoes and thyme. Stir until cheese melts. Stir in pasta. Transfer to casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs (if using). Bake until golden (if using breadcrumbs) or until hot and bubbly, 20-30 minutes.

**I usually use about 16oz of cheese and not 24oz because cheddar is expensive in this place - I also don't use Monterrey jack b/c we can't get it here... Finally, I'm very liberal with how much Thyme I use - probably closer to 2 tablespoons than 2 teaspoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment