Friday, August 20, 2010

Summer Pasta Salad


I think you would all agree that it is just TOO hot to cook in the summer- here and maybe anywhere this year!  I"m actually going to put two pasta salad recipes on here- both family favorites for us.  I"ll also put the recipe for the balsamic vineger salad dressing  that I use on pretty much everything- from my fave blue cheese, pear and lettuce salad to this pasta salad to using it as a dip for zataar manaeeche.  It's just plain yummy.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 TBSP Dijon mustard (regular is fine too)
3 TBSP honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup olive oil

Whisk together first 7 ingredients and gradually whisk in olive oil

Summer Pasta Salad

I found this great article on the all recipes site and kind of came up with my own creation using our favorite things and this was the result.

1 pound whole wheat noodles- shape of your choice (I used spiral)
salt to taste (I used a lot as mentioned in the article)
chopped zuchini, carrots, red peppers (any other veggies you like)
chopped onion
sauteed pine nuts
olives
shredded chicken
salad dressing of choice

Boil pasta in large pot with 2 TBSP of salt.  During last two minutes of cooking add chopped zuchini, carrots and peppers.  Drain all.  Toss in onion, pine nuts, olives, shredded chicken and toss with your favorite salad dressing.
 
Garlic Chicken Pasta Salad

Below you'll see this recipe exactly as is in the cookbook, but I have gradually changed in over the years to suit our tastes, but I kind of do it differently every time.  For example, I usually use a lot more of the garlic dressing than it calls for.  I also sometimes stir in ranch dressing instead of mayonaise, and usually once it's all put together, I stir in some of my favorite balsamic vinegar dressing because I almost can't have a salad without it....


Garlic Dressing
1/4 cup wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, split
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup olive oil
Prepare dressing at least one day ahead.  Combine first 5 ingredients and gradually whisk in olive oil

Salad
1/2 lb vermicelli (cooked al dente and drained)
1/3 cup Garlic Salad dressing
3 cups cooked, cubed chicken (I usually use a rotiserrie)
2 cans artichoke hearts (I've never used this)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
sliced black olives to taste
1 cup mayonaise
4 TBSP parsley
cherry tomatoes
sliced avocadoes

In large bowl, combine pasta and garlic dressing and toss well.  Cool completely and refrigerate several hours or overnight.  When ready to serve, add chicken, artichoke, green onions and olives.  Add mayo and toss gently.  Toss with parsley and cherry tomatoes just before serving and top with avocado slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment