Thursday, July 22, 2010

Magloobeh (Arabic upside down rice)

Even though we live in a place with some of the most amazing food in the world, I confess that I really don't cook Lebanese that much- it's just so time consuming!  I decided to give it a shot with the family here though and it was yummy.  This is not actually even a Lebanese dish, but it's definitely very Arab.  It's called "upside down" because you basically flip the pot that you've cooked it in onto the serving platter.  There are many variations of this popular dish.  I combined what I've had and liked best at various friends home with a recipe I found in my Lebanon cookbook and it turned out great.

Magloobeh

2 lbs cauliflower
olive oil for frying
1 rotisserie chicken cut up
extra thin Arabic flat bread
1 cup minced onion
2-3 garlic cloves minced
1 cup pine nuts (I actually used a combo of pine nuts and pistachios and I've had it with cashews as well)
1/4-1/2 cup butter
2 cups rice, rinsed
4 cups (maybe more) chicken broth
1 tsp Arabic 7 spice mix (can use nutmeg and cinnamon in place of this)
Salt to taste
More cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
raisins (optional)

Fry the cauliflower in olive oil until browned and drain on paper towels (I used enough to cover the bottom of the pan, but didn't submerge the cauliflower in the oil)

Tear up pieces of pita bread and fry in remaining oil

Melt butter in saucepan and saute onions and garlic.  After a few minutes add the pine nuts and pistachios along with the spices and cook a little more.  Stir in 2 cups of rice that has been rinsed.  Combine mixture well and set aside.  In a large saucepan layer half of the cauliflower then half of the chicken that is torn in pieces.  Top with half of the fried pita, then half of the rice mixture.  Can also sprinkle raisins in between the layers.  Repeat layers.  Cover all with chicken broth (enough to cover).  Cook over medium heat until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done (30-40 minutes).  Turn the pot over onto a serving platter.

Serve with yogurt and flat bread.  Enjoy!

Yogurt Sauce
labneh (natural yogurt)- 2-3 cups
salt to taste
3-4 mashed garlic cloves
mint (optional)
chopped cucumbers (optional)

3 comments:

  1. Kelli, you amaze me! Not only do you have family visiting, but you're cooking awesome meals and taking the time to take pictures and blog about it as well!!! I might just have to try this one out, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you! I love the step by step photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delicious. I"m trying it for John and family without 7 spices. I forgot to buy soe for myself

    ReplyDelete