Monday, May 24, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake


One of my favorite things about summertime is fresh fruit. Right now I've got strawberries, cherries, watermelon, apples, green plums and purple plums all in my fridge. Yum! I decided to whip up some shortcake (is there a better use for strawberries?) the other day. Here's my version (I have to give MmB credit for the biscuit portion, which is what makes it so yummy in my book).

You will need:
Strawberries (I chop them up small and sprinkle a teaspoon or 2 of sugar over them in a bowl and let that sit in the fridge for awhile to make them sweet)

Whipping cream - I use 1 small container and add 2 T powdered sugar and 1 t vanilla for tasty cream

Rolls
2 c flour (I use 1 c. whole wheat, 1 c. regular)
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
5 T cold butter, cut up
2/3 c. milk

Heat oven to 450. Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk. Stir with a fork until soft dough forms. Knead 10-15 times. Roll out. Cut. Bake on cookie sheet 12-14 minutes.

Once the rolls are done cut one in half and layer strawberries, cream, roll, strawberries and more cream. Delicious! This is not super sweet, which is probably why I like it so much!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Strawberry shortcake is one of my all time faves. I found a great strawberry cream pie on all recipes that I'll have to put on here. I'm about ready for some cherry cobbler as well! (especially if I can convince Jason again to do all the dirty work with the cherries...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YUMMY!!! Looks like it should be in a magazine!!!

    ReplyDelete