Monday, November 12, 2012

Hearty Italian Soup


(apparently I can't rotate pictures anymore-sorry!)

But turn your head sideways and marvel at how yummy this soup looks!  In my opinion, just looking at anything with spinach in it makes you healthier and this soup is so full of flavor that you really can't go wrong.  I changed the original recipe because I can't get Italian sausage here.  I used chicken instead (frozen in a 2 cup portion from several whole chickens I cooked the other night- thank you very much freezer cooking for changing my cooking life!).   I also already had the white beans ready in the freezer along with the broth so I threw this together in minutes.  So yummy!

Hearty Italian Soup
2 cups cooked chicken
2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
48 oz chicken broth
 2 cans white beans (I used 4 cups cooked from dry)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 tsp Italian seasoning (I used a haphazard combo of oregano, thyme and basil)
5 oz baby spinach
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used dry- maybe a TBSP)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Brown onions and garlic in oil until tender.  Stir in chicken broth, chicken, beans, tomatoes,and Italian seasoning.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.   Stir in spinach and remaining ingredients.  Cook, stirring occasionally, 5-6 minutes or until spinach is wilted.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment