Friday, March 16, 2012

Apricot Muffins

Let's go ahead and establish in case it hasn't become blatantly obvious by now, that I am a horrible food photographer.  It is simply not something that I care enough about to figure out how to do better.  Maybe one day when I have oodles of spare time, but not today.  I love to cook and if it's a recipe that I want to share I'll snap a picture of it before I eat it.  The end.

These little jewels have lots of memories for us.  On our third anniversary we went to Heber Springs, AR and stayed in a bed and breakfast.  We were hoping to do some poor man's fly fishing (read as- we couldn't afford to pay for a guide and all the equipment) and sure enough the hosts of the bed and breakfast took pity on us and he offered to take us out for a half day adventure on the house.  It was fabulous!  The breakfast they packed with us to take out on the river including a version of apricot muffins- super yummy especially wearing weighters, waiting for the fish to bite at 5 AM!  These also meet my husbands requirement of not being "too sweet" (poor thing thinks that's normal...)

APRICOT MUFFINS
13/4 cup flour (I use wheat)
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
*3/4 cup orange juice *
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup walnuts (I sometimes leave this out since my weirdo families don't like muffins to crunch...)

Stir first 4 ingredients, make well in center.  Combine egg, orange juice and oil.  Add all at once.  Stir until moistened.  Add apricots and nuts.  Bake 400 for 20-25 minutes.  Dip tops in melted butter and powdered sugar.  

*I've started doing half orange juice and half lemon juice- makes it a bit more tart and less sweet*

1 comment:

  1. Go you (actually posting on here:)! I just bought dried apricots today (in an effort to be healthy?) - now I can put them to good use!

    ReplyDelete